They often say an avocado a day will keep the cardiologist away. Yes, it’s true. Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, which can reduce the risk of heart disease. The high-fat content helps reduce spikes in blood sugar when consumed with other foods. Consider an avocado your daily multivitamin as it is loaded with nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B, vitamin E, and vitamin A. And we know how important these vitamins are for a healthy skin.
Avocado paired with chickpeas is super good for you as chickpeas can offer a number of benefits to both your skin and body too.
Chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets. They are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber that may improve digestion, support healthy weight management and reduce the risk of several diseases. But let’s not forget about their benefit on our skin. Chickpeas are great for collagen synthesis because they are rich in zinc and vitamin C, which may help eliminate zits and also prevent them from surfacing at all.
Chickpeas are loaded with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and have a low glycemic index and also act as a pH balancer. These important factors help in balancing the sebum, the natural oil production of the skin. The iron and copper present in chickpeas helps to boost up your blood circulation which results in youthful and glowing skin.
We could talk about the health benefits of these two main ingredients and the other elements (like garlic, pepper, basil, tomato, rapeseed oil, etc.) of this recipe all day, but let’s see how we prepared this very simple dish that can be the centerpiece of your brunch, lunch, or dinner table.
for the hummus:
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 can of organic chickpeas
- 3 tbsp tahini, optional
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pepper and salt
- approx. 100ml. extra virgin olive oil
for the tomato salsa:
- 4 ripe cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 basil leaves
for the garnish:
- mixed leaves
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes
- lemon-infused rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- crushed salt and pepper
- a few leaves of watercress
2 slices of spelt bread
1. Rinse chickpeas in warm water and drain, then remove the skin of the avocado.
2. Puree all the ingredients (so avocado, chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, pepper and salt and the virgin olive oil) in a food processor until smooth. For the olive oil, we always start with half to the amount and add it gradually as needed until we get the creamy, thick puree.
3. Season it to your taste. As a last step taste it and give your avocado hummus more taste by adding in extra salt, pepper, cumin, tahini, and/or lemon juice if you feel like.
4. Spread. You are ready to spread your freshly made hummus on a nice slice of spelt flour bread. It’s really nice on rice cakes or wholewheat crackers too.
5. Let’s make the salsa! Simply chop up a few cherry tomatoes and bay leaves and place it on top of the hummus. We placed a few slices of another avocado on top and decorate it with a few watercress leaves to boost this super healthy dish and make it look pretty.
6. Garnish. Have some mixed salad leaves and tomatoes on the side and sprinkle it with some lemon infused rapeseed or olive oil.
We hope that we inspired you with this recipe and we could show you how simple it is to prepare skin-nourishing dishes that your whole family will enjoy.